Dr. Arun Bhardwaj did his B.Sc(Honours) Physics from Hansraj College, Delhi and M.Sc(Physics) from Department of Physics & Astrophysics, University of Delhi in 1994. After clearing the UPSC examination of Employees Provident Fund Organization (Ministry of Labour), he joined as Assistant Provident Fund Commissioner in Thane, Maharashtra. On clearing the UGC-CSIR NET, he resigned and joined as UGC JRF in Department of Physics and Astrophysics. He did his Ph.D. in Theoretical Superconductivity and has research publications in physica status solidi (Germany).
In July 1997 he joined Indian Space Research Organization's (ISRO) Ahmedabad Centre of Space Applications Centre (SAC). Working here for more than 18 years, he worked on the development of space borne Electro-optical camera payload systems such as:
• Very High Resolution Radiometers of INSAT-2E, INSAT-3A and Kalpnasat satellites used for Meteorological forecast.
• Cartosat series: Cartosat-1, Cartosat-2, Cartosat-2A, Cartosat-2B for high resolution imaging cameras.
• Resourcesat -1, Resourcesat-2 for mapping Earth resources
• Ocean Colour Monitor (OCM) for Ocean studies
• Chandrayaan-1 payloads
• Mars Orbiter Mission, popularly called Mangalyaan
Since March 2016, working in the Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India with focus on synergy projects:
• Forecasting the Urban flood: Implemented in Chennai
• Sharing of Resources/Instruments of all Government funded Institutions and Departments under I-STEM (Indian Science Technology and Engineering facilities Map)
• Supporting Nanoscience projects in Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, IIT-Bombay and IIT-Delhi
• Under PM’s Science & Technology Innovation Advisory Council, Nodal person for Language Translation Mission and Deep Ocean Exploration Mission.
• Working on creating City Knowledge Clusters in various cities by bringing together Academia, R&D Labs and industry for bringing synergy.